Shrewsbury BID is a Business Improvement District representing more than 500 businesses in Shrewsbury town centre. Since 2014 we have been working to deliver improvements, cost savings and destination marketing to create the best possible trading environment in which business can flourish.
As an alliance of businesses and organisations operating in Shrewsbury, we represent a strong collective voice on the issues that are important to members and key to the success of the town, focussing on projects and initiatives that make a difference to businesses in Shrewsbury.
In the first two and a half years of our term, good progress has been achieved against the priorities laid down by the business community. Here are 9 projects to highlight:
- Delivering ambitious marketing aspirations including a new town Original Shrewsbury website, more than 11,000 social media followers across Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Pinterest and 687 pieces of local, regional and national media coverage worth £100,000s in editorial value equivalent, for Shrewsbury and its offer
- Delivering a programme of free business to business workshops for anyone that owns, manages or is employed by a Shrewsbury BID business
- Negotiating £1 Sunday car parking tariff
- Helping secure Purple Flag status nationally accrediting for the town’s safe night time experience
- Administering Pubwatch through Shrewsbury Watch scheme
- Working with Shropshire Council and Shrewsbury Town Council to develop a new wayfinding system for the town, planned for installation in Spring 2017
- Establishing networking groups such as Future of Shrewsbury Network
To find out the latest, see our Documents section.
We are governed by a board of directors who are directly accountable for steering the direction of the company and the ensuring effective delivery of the projects set out by the business community in the five-year business plan. The Board serves voluntarily and reflects the sector make-up of the town's businesses and organisations.
During our five-year term, £1.6 million will be invested to improve the town's commercial environment.
Our priorities for the five-year term are:
Marketing, Profile and Promotion
Professionally delivering and managing high profile marketing like never seen before for Shrewsbury town centre, ensuring it is visible and known as an original and one-off place to visit.
Access and Car Parking
Creating an efficient, accessible and pleasant town centre environment, whether travelling by car, on foot, or on public transport - ensuring people have a positive experience here.
Working to reduce business costs and providing the support and initiatives businesses need to thrive.
Drive and Direction
Acting as a credible, representational voice for business on the issues that matter, taking a leading role in the coordination, management and future direction of a prosperous Shrewsbury town centre.
For an overview of our past year of activity, read our Annual Report and Review 2016.